EPSILON CHAPTER AT SUNY NEW PALTZ
Established February 1897
The Epsilon “A” House at 11 North Oakwood Terrace, New Paltz. It had thirteen bedrooms, a reception room, dinning room, and kitchen.
In November of 1896, the Thalia Literary Society was formed at New Paltz Normal School. Thalia was originally a “girl’s baseball of nine.” (In A Valley Fair; Elizabeth and Robert Lang-1960) Then in November of 1899, Thalia had elected to “drink from the fountain of Arethusa”. (Normal Review November 1899)
The women first moved into a house on Wurtz Avenue and then in 1910 into the “A” house on N. Oakwood Terrace. The house was built for the Arethusa Fraternity by Mr. D.C. Storr.
The chapter folded in 1973, but the Arethusa stars still shine bright through the Epsilon Alumnae Association. They established a scholarship (Arethusa Sorority Alumnae Fund) that awards a New Paltz student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences up to $2500 dollars based on merit and need of the student.
1920, Arethusa, Oakwood Terrace, Sojourner Truth Library Collection,
SUNY New Paltz.