Beta Chapter

BETA CHAPTER AT ROCHESTER FREE ACADEMY & ROCHESTER HIGH SCHOOL

Established Spring 1892

Abolished 1911

Free Academy to East & West High School

The Rochester Free Academy was the forerunner of Rochester's public high school system.  The Beta Chapter of Arethusa formed in 1892 at the Academy. In 1899, The Free Academy’s name was officially changed to Rochester High School.  To satisfy the increasing need for space and classrooms, the city of Rochester agreed to build two new high schools.  East High School which opened April of 1903 and West High School which opened in 1905.  Not only did the students move to the new buildings but the Beta Chapter as well.  The chapter was not divided but allowed membership to consist of students from both high schools.

In 1911 the Rochester Board of Education abolished all fraternities and the sororities in the high schools.  They also abolished football.

Class of 1892

Carolyn Anderson, Nellie Chase, Helen Clark, Mabel French, Juliet Hayden, Grace Lewis, Sophie Wile, Gertie Ashton, & Caroline Tegg

 

Class of 1893

Catharine Angell, Esther Copeland, Mildred Hendricks, Alice Carr, Emma Ellwanger, Florence Montgomery, Mabel Moser, Marion Pike, Louise Sprague, Mabel Taylor, & Grace Williams

 

Class of 1894

Irene Janes, Edith Milligan, Carrie Stone, Jessie Otis

Free Academy to East & West High School

Arethusa Sorority

AUAA, Inc.

Loyal Sisters All

Founded in November 1996

© 2016 by AUAA Inc.

Get Monthly Updates
Quick Links