EPSILON CHAPTER AT SUNY NEW PALTZ
Established Feburary 1897 Folded 1973
And when our A house parts, our Friendships will linger in our hearts.
1920, Arethusa, Oakwood Terrace, Sojourner Truth Library Collection, SUNY New Paltz.
The Epsilon “A” House at 11 North Oakwood Terrace, New Paltz.
It had thirteen bedrooms, a reception room, dinning room, and kitchen.
In November of 1896, the Thalia Literary Society was formed
at New Paltz Normal School.
Thalia was originally a “girl’s baseball of nine.”
(In A Valley Fair; Elizabeth and Robert Lang-1960)
Then in November of 1899, Thalia had elected to
“drink from the fountain of Arethusa”. (Normal Review November 1899)
The girls first moved into a house on Wurtz Avenue and then in 1910
into the “A” house on N. Oakwood Terrace.
The house was built for the Arethusa Fraternity by Mr. D.C. Storr.
The chapter folded in 1973, but the Arethusa stars still shine bright
through the Epsilon Alumnae Association. They established a scholarship (Arethusa Sorority Alumnae Fund) that awards a New Paltz student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences up to $2500 dollars based on merit and need of the student.